Growth in the 50's and 60's
The need to move once again emerged in 1958, as the Seventh Street site was scheduled for demolition. After a considerable search, the present property on Hale Avenue in Avondale was approved by the National Board of the Women's Division of Christian Service. Ground was broken for construction in June, 1959 on the grounds of the former Pogue family estate.
On June 5, 1960, a one-story brick building was dedicated. With a capacity of 80 children, the building included preschool classrooms, a chapel , assembly room, offices and a kitchen and dining area. Its construction was partly financed by offerings of the Annual Week of Prayer of Methodist Women nationwide.
Miss Lucile Holiday retired in 1965, and was succeeded by Mrs. Louise C. Bowen, who implemented many further innovations in her seven year tenure. Several building expansions were accomplished in the 1980s, including an infant/toddler wing dedicated in March 1984, significant improvements to the play area, and construction of a toddler lot.
Today, Wesley Child Care Center serves 135 children (ages 6 months. to 12 years) of Cincinnati-area families. The Board of Directors of the Center is composed of representatives from the parents, the United Methodist Church, and the community. Support comes from parent fees, the United Methodist Church, the General Board of Global Ministries, the United Way and Community Chest, the Department of Human Services, and the USDA.
Rita Bryant promoted...
Mr. Rita Bryant has been promoted to Chief Executive Officer.
A Word from the Chairman...
The Wesley Education Center's Board of Trustess has grown both in terms...